Saturday, April 18, 2009

An "Experience" out of monetary prejudice!!!

Somebody who once said that “The purpose of life,after all,is to live it,to experience it to the upmost,to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences” must have had surely not been reconvening over some not so cool experiences….After all,the term ‘experience’ in itself encompasses a multi-array of adventure, fun, drollery, fret, melancholy, angst and a whole lot enumeration that can probably just keep going on.Each experience with the entwining of mind’s reckless thought process leaves you teaching a new lesson or atleast making you think over a little deeper.

This Wednesday afternoon,with my intuition already scrambling in favour of something bad happening, I went to Patel Chest,Delhi University for completion of my postgraduation programme joining formalities.I parked my car outside it,just as I always did before, and for precaution asked my friend’s driver to heed it and inform me if anything goes wrong. Murphy’s Law, it seemed,had set to prove itself right that day only.

After a little while,I got a call from the driver informing me that my car had been towed away.My clairvoyance was working which I would have had preferred remaining in dumps,atleast for this one.Quitting the work, me and my friend ran down seven odd floors and travelled some 2 kms amidst narrow lanes and traffic to reach Sabzi Mandi P.S. to catch hold of my car,again little knowing about how the arcanum goes and just praying not to get dodged of money for this trivia.What an experience we were chanting,since experience is usually the name everyone gives to their mistakes and I sincerely do affirm to that.

Some minutes after,we were negotiating under the sun over the amount[bribe] to get my car released,giving all genre of excuses which we people,as doctors,are accustomed to whenever caught violating the traffic norms.And that’s why we even keep our stethoscopes and white coats handy most of the times to prove our point.Alas,this time I didn’t have them.Starting from Rs. 1500,he descended down to Rs.300 which was something to be cheerful about.Afterall who doesn’t want saving some extra bucks in the time of recession.And everyone is of same religion when it comes to money.

While driving down back,I did rue a little for two entirely opposite things which might sound hilarious.One,on not being able to save those 300 bucks.I guess,I could have bargained more :).Second,on a more serious note thinking that today I acted like someone who supported a corruptive malpractice which I am condemning in my usual social circle most of the times.I know ethically what I did was wrong but truly speaking,even despite that I don’t see myself strong enough to be acting the other way if the misfortune strikes again.
Paying bribes to get our work done has become a matter of convenience for middle class people like me,an almost incorrigible habit.And may be a food for greediness or avarice for upper class officials and politicians.And there seems to be no respite,to we almost being ‘towed’ towards this chagrin which is sad indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment